My photo
I'm a Canadian now residing in Sunny Arizona since 2002. Although I've been a city girl all of my life, I've always loved the country and the laid back life it offers. My love of the Outdoors, Animals,and Gardening comes from my mom Cecile, who loved her home in the country, but sadly passed away in 2005. I promised her I would grow a garden in her name, And I finally did, five years later. One of my best memories of her is how much she loved her garden. The glow on her face when she would show me something new, always creating a life with things she loved. She loved all animals. She taught me simplicity, to enjoy the small things, and see beauty in everything. Today I find myself doing the same things she did in her garden and in life. This blog was created to keep track of my projects and adventures. They may not all be successes, but my goal is to remain unintimidated by whatever engages my curiosity. I want to share this adventure with those who can appreciate the small things, the trial and errors, the simplicity in it all, but mostly,what my mom knew how to do best,just have FUN! *This blog is dedicated to her*

Jul 9, 2010

Monsoon Season is Here

The Monsoon season has arrived! If there's anything that really fascinates me in Arizona its this time of year. Clouds are slowly creeping in on us in the distance, at home the pine trees are shedding their needles and covering everything on the ground. It's time to prep the rain barrels and hope for some good rains this year.

Ever since I can remember I have always been afraid of thunderstorms.
That has slowly changed since I moved here. With time I learned to enjoy them from a distance. It sure is exciting when lightning fills the dark skies. Or when the sun sets the sky turns into shades of pinks an reds. I've seen nothing like it anywhere else.

I am making sure everything will withstand the powerful winds, or micro-bursts as they call it. Making sure the bamboo shading won't rip to shreds, that the delicate fruit trees won't get damaged, and make sure the shade cloth around my garden stays put. Also, little things like wind chimes and patio chairs can easily be picked up by a sudden gust of wind and end up in the neighbor's yard. These storms can get really nasty.

The local news stations make it a Huge deal around this time. It's big news to finally see weather activity! The weather people in Arizona must have the easiest job in the world :)

I like to take my camera out to capture the intense cloud formations.

If I can get sufficient rain in my barrels I should have enough water for my garden for some time. Why let the water wash away down the curb when you can feed your plants. Everyone should save water.

Let the rains begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment