My photo
I'm a Canadian now residing in Sunny Arizona since 2002. Although I've been a city girl all of my life, I've always loved the country and the laid back life it offers. My love of the Outdoors, Animals,and Gardening comes from my mom Cecile, who loved her home in the country, but sadly passed away in 2005. I promised her I would grow a garden in her name, And I finally did, five years later. One of my best memories of her is how much she loved her garden. The glow on her face when she would show me something new, always creating a life with things she loved. She loved all animals. She taught me simplicity, to enjoy the small things, and see beauty in everything. Today I find myself doing the same things she did in her garden and in life. This blog was created to keep track of my projects and adventures. They may not all be successes, but my goal is to remain unintimidated by whatever engages my curiosity. I want to share this adventure with those who can appreciate the small things, the trial and errors, the simplicity in it all, but mostly,what my mom knew how to do best,just have FUN! *This blog is dedicated to her*

Oct 22, 2010

Where's the Ghoulish Spirit?

Seems like Halloween has faded with the years.
When I was little, I remember Halloween being such a huge deal.

It was such an exciting time back then, with decorations everywhere, carved pumpkins by each doorstep, tons of kids were all over the streets with one of a kind costumes and the candy was the real deal.

Where's the creativity these days? The costumes today are just plain horrible! not to mention expensive.
Little girls look like (?!!!^%$#) and boys, whatever new action figure that just hit the theaters.
Where are the Witches,Pirates,Princesses,Draculas,and Ghosts?

I noticed older kids come to my door, some taller than me! and they come back for more! you don't see carved pumpkins much anymore, and if you forgot to bring your pumpkin indoors you will find it smashed to pieces all over the street the next morning :(

Kids are not allowed to wear costumes in school,and trick-or-treaters go to organized events more than door to door.
What happened? Have people become too paranoid?
Aren't parents ruining the fun for their kids?
Ok, we'd hear stories of tampered candy but it never stopped us from trick or treating! Our parents verified all our bags, today parents steal all the good candy!

Maybe I've lost my Ghoulish Spirit this year,maybe the overpowering Christmas Decorations in all stores has turned me off completely...

This year, I decided to leave everything in my Halloween Bin.
There won't be any treats at my doorstep. And No tricks either.
Maybe next year It will be different.

But I will NOT pass up the opportunity to bake some really good pumpkin cookies and roast some yummy seeds :)

* UPDATE.
I gave in. I did Halloween only because it was for the kids and I started feeling guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment