My photo
I'm a Canadian now residing in Sunny Arizona since 2002. Although I've been a city girl all of my life, I've always loved the country and the laid back life it offers. My love of the Outdoors, Animals,and Gardening comes from my mom Cecile, who loved her home in the country, but sadly passed away in 2005. I promised her I would grow a garden in her name, And I finally did, five years later. One of my best memories of her is how much she loved her garden. The glow on her face when she would show me something new, always creating a life with things she loved. She loved all animals. She taught me simplicity, to enjoy the small things, and see beauty in everything. Today I find myself doing the same things she did in her garden and in life. This blog was created to keep track of my projects and adventures. They may not all be successes, but my goal is to remain unintimidated by whatever engages my curiosity. I want to share this adventure with those who can appreciate the small things, the trial and errors, the simplicity in it all, but mostly,what my mom knew how to do best,just have FUN! *This blog is dedicated to her*

Jan 3, 2011

Tragedy Strikes my Family

I often write about my mom, and dedicated this blog to her, she inspired me to do what I do, a gentle soul who always saw the brighter side of things. I previously wrote about how I cherish my family, and during the holiday season is when I miss them most.

I haven't mentioned my dad, until now. My dad, he's my hero. My dad looked out for us, and at times seemed negative but he always meant well and wanted us to succeed. It's so much clearer to me that all he wanted was what's best for us.

Life has changed tremendously since our mom passed. Dad moved away to his hometown to start his life over. He has found love and happiness again. I miss him.

This Christmas was going to be the best one for me. My dad wanted to surprise me by flying into AZ with my sister and nephew. They did good since I was clueless that they had been planning this for months. My dad never flew, he was afraid to. But he wanted to do this for me :)

I was so excited to have my sister and her son visit me for a whole week  :) I worked so hard in my home to accommodate them and try to make their stay comfortable. I was counting the days now...

Until I received a phone call early that morning. My sister had to tell me something she dreaded. My dad had been in an accident on the road. Although she told me he survived it I totally lost focus when she told me that he had been on his way to her house so they could take their flight together. To see ME. My dad was coming to surprise me! :( 
I felt like I had been stabbed. I lost my focus and broke down into tears when she told me how seriously hurt he was.

When we were reassured that our dad would survive, but be coma induced for a while, we decided that she take her trip to see me anyways. I needed family with me right NOW. I felt so alone and helpless.

This was not a time of rejoicing or celebration. Our thoughts were somewhere else. I started feeling guilt. All this emotion made me lose track of time too. Despite the circumstances we did try to enjoy our time together and share a few laughs.

But being grateful, THAT, we were. We kept thinking how much worse it could have been. Even his doctors were amazed that he had survived. Counting our blessings. That's what this trip was about. We talked on the phone every night to get updates.

My dad is still heavily sedated,10 days later. Many broken bones and a very long healing journey ahead. I can't believe he was supposed to spend the week here with me. I am grateful, for his life has been spared. I wish him a fast recovery. Life is so fragile. It will be a tough year ahead. But we got a miracle to start us off on the right track this new year.
Wishing him a speedy recovery, I love you Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment